Older adults are at a higher risk of dying in a home fire. Find out how to protect yourself with these safety tips.
Adults aged 75 and over are more than three times likely to be seriously injured as a result of a fire.
Here are some general tips on preventing injury from a fire:
1) use space heaters carefully
2) have smoke alarms around each sleeping area
3) be careful about smoking in home and never smoke in bed
4) wear tight clothing when cooking and have sleeves rolled up to minimize them catching on fire and never leave a stovetop unattended
5) remember if your clothing does catch on fire, carefully get on the floor, stop – drop and roll
6) make a plan with a spouse or loved on how you can exit a house in case of a fire